Monday, November 26, 2012

With the Nikon D4 I welcome back my 85 f/1.4g and 24 f/1.4

With the Nikon D4 I welcome back my Nikon 85mm f/1.4g and Nikon 24mm f/1.4g

In a previous post on Nikon 24-70 and 70-200 I mentioned that my D3 with an Nikon 85mm f/1.4 or 24 f/1.4 did not focus fast enough for photos of fast action or especially of toddlers.

Well the D4 focuses so well and so fast that the Nikon 85 f/1.4 and Nikon 24 f/1.4 are back in the game. These are great lenses for portraits with excellent color rendition and capable of exquisite looks that few other lenses can duplicate. (You can always pick up a Nikon 200mm f/2.0.) The 85mm is faster at focusing than the 24mm, but that is ok. The 200mm focuses faster than the 70-200mm f/2.8 so that was never an issue.

Also of mention - the Nikon D4 produces the highest number of straight to JPEG shots from any camera that I have used. I usually have to spend at least a few seconds to tweak the RAW files before printing to get what I would call usable photos from any previous camera I used. It is like having my old Nikon F5 back in my hands again! I still shoot RAW and JPEG, but I have found that all I have to do now is adjust the crop in Photo Mechanic and print. (Photo Mechanic is used by many Sports Photographers to quickly import, sort and update IPTC data. It is incredibly fast.)

Ok - Update - The D4s - absolutely blows away the D4 for focusing - hands down! It is faster and more accurate - as if that is even possible.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice review. I am thinking on purchasing a full frame camera. I love shooting headshots, portraits, and family portraits.

    I love to learn more about shooting in natural lighting. Could you share a topic correct exposure for shooting outdoors?

    I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete